and your relationship to reality
Are you fascinated by the 'big questions'?
This groundbreaking course will take you on a mind-expanding journey through the fundamental questions of our time before arriving at some convincing and potentially explosive new answers.
These explanations are compatible with the latest scientific findings and could have huge implications for mankind they also throw important light on what the ancient mystics have been saying for centuries about the true nature of reality, and our place in it.
What the course investigates:
- How the universe appeared from 'nothing' in a Big Bang
- Why relationships are so important
- What consciousness is and how it evolved
- How to expand our consciousness further
- Why life is full of 'meaning'
- How consciousness connects to matter
Why our universe is so extraordinarily favourable
to the evolution of life
- Where the information that created life came from
- Why consciousness will never be pinned down by brain science
- How human consciousness changed over the last 100,000 years
Why we experience time passing when physicists
say time is an illusion
- What Dark Matter and Dark Energy might be
- The function of mysticism
- What 'self-development' really means
- Can our individual consciousness survive death?
- And, if so, in what circumstances might that happen?
If you've been wondering how the universe came into existence, thinking about the 'hard problem' of consciousness, puzzling over the mysteries thrown up by quantum science or been intrigued by mystical experiences this course is for you. Sign up now at the top or bottom of this page to find out more.
Tell me more, I'm curious
Sign up for 7 FREE preview films and all the latest news:
We are committed to protecting your privacy.
SPECIAL OFFER –
- Save over 20% – full price: £225
- Explore startling new ideas
- Unlimited course access
* Your fee will be automatically converted to your local currency at the current exchange rate
This could be the missing link in cosmic and quantum physics a white knuckle ride through one dazzling, thought-provoking idea after another. My beliefs, assumptions and understanding were repeatedly stretched and challenged; yet something rang true.
Aubrey Davis, Storyteller
The most stimulating course I've ever done. Why do we have a questioning mind, if not to find the answers?
1. Introduction, including some personal stories from participants
2. Consciousness: dreams, precognition and telepathy
3. Quantum entanglement
4. The human yearning for meaning
5. Ancient knowledge: The first appearance of imagination
6. Focusing and defocusing attention
7. Requirements for approaching other dimensions of reality
8. The harm done by cult formation around 'spiritual' teachers
9. The fundamental law of living things
10. Why consciousness studies are important for humanity
11. What consciousness is for
12. The difference between self-consciousness and object-consciousness
13. Consciousness and pattern recognition
14. Universal relationships between matter and consciousness
15. Some big questions and startling answers
16. The requirements for developing higher consciousness
17. As above, so below
18. Two types of consciousness
19. The origin of our life force
20. The scientific enigma: where does information come from?
21. Mystical connections to the Absolute
Very captivating idea, at the edge of the very concept of nature and life. It will be the challenge of the next millennium. It was a wonderful course. Thank you for making me part of your knowledge. I will take it back with me to New Zealand.
Dr Angelo Cacciato
It covered an amazing amount of history, archaeology, psychology, physics and mysticism and pulled them all together in the most powerful and convincing way. It sent my brain wizzing! I don't think I will ever look at life, the universe and our part in it in quite the same way again.
Maggie Gibson, Designer and mother
Clearly lays out the appropriate meeting points of physics, psychology, anthropology, myth and religion, and how they weave together to explain our evolution and potential future a practical tool for anyone who sincerely wishes to know how one 'ticks' and better understand his or her own purpose in this life.
John Bell, Diplomat
A very thought provoking, enriching and enlightening experience. Sharing ideas and concepts with people on the course who are also searching and making connections provided me with the energy to move on.
A brilliant and fascinating weekend. The more that I manage to grasp the ideas the more elegant the relaton theory reveals itself to be.
Writing in the Toronto Review after doing the course, John Zada described the ideas as, of extraordinary scope and profound insight. By drawing attention to the little known, but very real linkages between the ancient wisdom traditions and quantum physics, Griffin and Tyrrell bridge one of the great chasms of our times the seeming irreconcilability between spirituality and science. I learned that areas as seemingly distant as physics and psychology are in fact more connected than we could ever imagine.
John Zada, Travel Writer
Fantastic two days. Stimulating and thought provoking in a way that has opened a door for me. I feel that my journey has begun at last.
Human Givens Psychotherapist
A wonderful, inspiring experience. I leave feeling comfortably connected to a real spirit of enquiry at last.
Joe Griffin is the Irish psychologist who solved the ancient puzzle of dreaming. His extensive published research resulted in the first comprehensive, scientifically consistent theory of why we evolved to dream his expectation fulfilment theory which has led, through his work with Ivan Tyrrell, to huge improvements in the treatment of depression, addiction, psychological trauma and the early stages of psychosis.
He has a remarkable intellect and questioning mind and has also made a deep study of mystical writings from around the world. Joe is widely regarded as Ireland's foremost practical guide to the mysteries of the mind and is a riveting speaker.
Ivan Tyrrell is an English writer and psychologist. Various unusual experiences as a young man sparked an interest in the nature of perception, hypnosis and altered states of consciousness and his search for knowledge resulted in a long association with the Sufi, Idries Shah.
His frustration at the poor state of psychotherapeutic practice in the UK led to the publication of new information about depression, psychosis, hypnosis, addiction and trauma treatment in a series of best-selling books written with Joe. He is a director of Human Givens College, which teaches this new information.
How the course was developed
Joe and Ivan worked together for many years to improve the understanding and treatment of mental illness. They originated the Human Givens approach to psychotherapy, education and psychology that hugely improves the delivery of psychological interventions and their courses have helped tens of thousands of distressed people.
At the same time, however, they were also pursuing a mutual life-long interest in resolving the hardest question in science the mystery of consciousness. Their research led them to think about other questions too, such as a meaningful way to understand time, how the universe appeared, quantum entanglement, and what mysticism is for if anything.
This drive to understand led to years spent studying, researching and thinking about the relevant scientific research and latest theories in various fields (from neuroscience to quantum physics), as well as seeing what the ancient wisdom traditions might have to tell us.
Eventually their work and dedication resulted in 'Godhead: The Brain's Big Bang', a book about the explosive origin of creativity, mysticism and mental illness and what that meant for our current understanding about the nature of mind and matter. This work was described by the Indian Professor, A.V. Ashok, as, Magisterial a grand multi-disciplinary meditation a gorgeous spell of reflection of the Big Bang and the organization of the universe cast in a fascinating mix of the findings of quantum physics and the intuitions of mysticism a cascade of every conundrum of our mysterious universe that has baffled the human mind down the millennia.
His view was echoed by many others who wanted an opportunity to get together to explore the valuable ideas it contained the result was a series of private weekend courses on consciousness, science and spirituality that were run in the UK.
Griffin and Tyrrell's work soundly rejects the pessimistic reductionist view that the great mysteries about the origin of life, consciousness and time cannot be solved by the human mind.
By extending ideas derived from studies of the brain and human givens psychology they have found plausible answers to the big cosmic questions that physicists, biologists and psychologists are struggling with. Their conclusions hold out fascinating implications, not only for scientific progress but also for seekers after truth everywhere.
This unique online course offers you the opportunity to examine these profound questions alongside them. Register your interest now by leaving your email address at the top or bottom of this page.
What form does the course take?
The demand for places on the weekend courses was high and delegates flew in from around the world to attend.
Fortunately one course was filmed and it is this fascinating material which includes lively interaction and discussions with the participants that forms the basis of Exploring Consciousness.
To help you enrich your understanding effectively the course has been split into 21 sections (you can see all these sections in the panel above) this makes the many new ideas and insights it contains easier to absorb.
Each section consists of a filmed talk, many with additional questions and contributions from the participants. Then, after each film, you will receive review notes of the main ideas covered in that section (original to the online course). These notes were carefully written to stimulate contemplation and discussion among you and your friends, or anyone else doing the course with you.
You also have access to an exclusive discussion forum where you can post your own thoughts about the big questions, interact with others and ask questions of Joe and Ivan themselves.
You can spend as long as you like making your way through the course, thinking about the points and ideas raised, and it is easy to review any film or section again should you wish to. As the content is so rich, we would in fact recommend this.
You will have access to an exclusive discussion forum where you can bring your own thoughts about the big questions to the table, interact with others, ask questions of Joe and Ivan and give feedback.
FAQs(Click question to expand)
- Do I need any prior knowledge to do this course?
- The course is in English so you need to understand English pretty well to follow some of the more subtle ideas that are discussed. You do not need to have any prior knowledge of physics, quantum physics, psychology, neuroscience or mysticism etc, to be able to follow the points made. Just an intelligent, questioning and curious mind...
- What do I need to view the course?
- All you need is a standard computer with internet access and a fast enough connection to allow you to view film clips.
- How much is the course?
- The first 100 people who book onto the course will be able to take advantage of our special early bird offer of £175. Once 100 people have signed on, the course will revert to its standard price of £225. Currently the US dollar equivalent is $215 and $290 respectively. And the Euro equivalent is €216 and €275.
- How long will it take me?
- This is really up to you the course includes content filmed over two
days, and there are also review points for you to read and contemplate
and suggested links and publications that you might wish to follow up.
We also recommend you watch the films a few at a time, rather than all at once, so that you can think about them in depth and allow time to absorb the rich ideas that are presented in each one. You can then watch each clip as often as you feel is helpful.
- Can I take the course more than once?
- Yes, once you've paid for the course you can watch it as many times as you like, you'll have permanent access to the content.
- Can I discuss the ideas on this course with others?
- Yes, there is an online discussion forum which everyone who has completed the course is invited to join. On it you can share your thoughts, observations and related links or information etc with like-minded people also interested in these ideas. You can also post questions and comments about what you are learning. Ivan and Joe contribute to this forum too.
- What else will I gain from the course?
- As well as looking at the 'hard' questions that have baffled scientists, and offering some convincing answers, this course shows you what self-development really requires by revealing the true function of mysticism and how it merges with modern science.